Bathroom Blogfest 09: Flush this economy, but do it with scienceBy
This post is part of Bathroom Blogfest 09. Professor Toilet is proud to be one of 21 bloggers invited to participate in this third annual event, celebrating all aspects of bathrooms. This year’s Bathroom Blogfest theme is “Flush the Recession and Plunge Into Forgotten Spaces.”
The Science Behind a Really Good Flush
Why would Science Careers profile a guy who makes toilets? Toilets are a high tech appliance, something people don’t really appreciate until faced with a toilet repair or clogged toilet.
Toilet science includes:
Physics, governing water distribution to effectively clean the bowl and prevent clogged toilets.
Mechanical and Materials Engineering, governing the operation and reliability of the valves for flushing toilets.
Chemistry, to understand the properties of clay, glazes, plastics and increasingly, antimicrobial surfaces on toilets.
Biology, to understand and control the sanitary properties of toilets and slow bacterial growth.
Geometry to guide the toilet designs and aesthetic innovations, while statistically analyzing every elementto ensure reliable function.
Watch Jim explain the science behind water saving dual flush toilets.
Professor Toilet appreciates being part of Bathroom Blogfest 09. ( In fact, The Professor appreciates now knowing what a blogfest actually is. The Professor has never pretended to be hip to social media. )
Day-by-day summaries of Bathroom Blogfest 09:
Bathroom Blogfest 09: Wednesday’s Highlights
Bathroom Blogfest 09: Thursday’s Highlights
Bathroom Blogfest 09: Friday’s Highlights
Or visit with the participating Bathroom Blogfest ’09 bloggers directly:
• Susan Abbott at Customer Experience Crossroads http://www.customercrossroads.com
• Reshma Anand at Qualitative Research Blog http://onqualitativeresearch.blogspot.com/
• Shannon Bilby at From the Floors Up http://fromthefloorsup.com/
• Shannon Bilby and Brad Millner at My Big Bob’s Blog http://blog.mybigbobs.com/
• Laurence Borel at Blog Till You Drop http://www.laurenceborel.com/
• Jeanne Byington at The Importance of Earnest Service http://blog.jmbyington.com/
• Becky Carroll at Customers Rock! http://www.customersrock.net
• Leslie Clagett at KB Culture www.kbculture.blogspot.com
• Katie Clark at Practical Katie http://practicalkatie.blogspot.com/
• Iris Shreve Garrott at Checking In and Checking Out http://circulating.wordpress.com/
• Julie at Julie’s Cleaning Secrets Blog http://cleaningsecrets.greatcleaners.com/
• Marianna Hayes at Results Revolution http://www.resultsrevolution.com
• Maria Palma at People To People Service http://www.people2peopleservice.com/
• Professor Toilet at Professor Toilet’s Blog http://www.professortoilet.com/
• David Reich at My 2 Cents http://reichcomm.typepad.com/
• Bethany Richmond at The Carpet and Rug Institute Blog http://www.carpet-and-rug-institute-blog.com
• Carolyn Townes at Becoming a Woman of Purpose http://spiritwomen.blogspot.com
• Stephanie Weaver at Experienceology http://experienceology.blogspot.com;
• C.B. Whittemore at Flooring The Consumer http://flooringtheconsumer.blogspot.com
and Simple Marketing Blog http://www.SimpleMarketingBlog.com
• Linda Wright at Lindaloo.com: Build Better Business with Better Bathroomshttp://lindaloo.com/